One of the reasons why I started my blog was to get my voice out as a mother to promote women’s worth and help protect our divine calling as mothers. I guess this is me inserting my influence on the the world, a contribution to supporting and defending goodness. My journey has been nothing but happy and fulfilling moments. In saying all of this, it has also awoken me to the vulnerability and despair we face in our world today. Such unhappiness has forced us mothers to be more involved and informed.
Have you heard of Operational Railroad Underground (O.U.R)? they are a non-profit organization who are dedicated to exterminating an epidemic involving innocent children in human trafficking. Look them up if you’re unfamiliar with it.
Did you also know New Zealand was the first country in the world to decriminalize prostitution? There are children and women around the world who are kidnapped and forced to prostitute and New Zealand has legalized it to “save lives”. You can go here if you want to study more about the law and policy behind it.
These are only a few of the many heartbreaking laws and practices I’ve recently stumbled across. So many questions have been spiraling in and out of my mind but one has remained, “what can I do?”
The truth is, I can blog my little heart out (which I’m happy to do 🙂 )to fight injustice rulings and dangerous practices. But is it enough? I don’t think so… there are a lot more things I can do and so can you. How?
You must become a participant.
Below are some options I’ve put together for you to become a participant. Some require little effort, some may demand more energy and some involves your everyday visit to Facebook 😉 but most are readily available to us. Some of these options may appear monotone with itty-bitty outcome, but let me reassure you the outcome of these options are life changing. It has the power to free or limit your rights. Not so ittty-bitty now, is it? Can you imagine how influential mothers would be if we as individuals came together to influence the world with goodness? Compelling is the word.
Shall we start?
1. Vote: The voice of an individual creates the voice of the people. Be an active citizen and vote for political leaders who are honest and proficient to run the country you live in. To be quite honest, when I first became eligible to vote it was of little importance to me. I was uninformed and made an ignorant judgment that our country will take care of itself. Huh! boy was I wrong. Once a government moves into office, we, YOU become subject to their rulings and laws they choose to introduce and enforce. Your vote can end immoral and tyrant laws by choosing the right people for the job. Every vote counts. Treat it like a privilege, an honor and a right to freedom. Be a participant and execute your duty as a free citizen.
Note: Don’t fall for the snare of free stuff…
2. Stay alert: There is so much going on in this world that I find it crucial to stay updated with current affairs. Whether you prefer to read the newspaper, watch the News or follow it on social media, do it. You don’t have to stay updated with every story and detail, you don’t want to. Reading and watching a lot of despairing events can be burdensome. I know so. But watch and read accordingly to what keeps you and your family safe. It’s about staying alert so you know where you’re needed. Where your opinion matters.
3. Support families: The mother is a vital organ in creating families which gives us all the reason to support and protect the family. If there are laws or practices being introduced, ask yourself if it hinders or supports the growth and existence of your family. Then make a decision that will enhance the happiness of your family and others. I truly believe that happy and strong families create a happy and strong society.
4. Research: I enjoy researching, but you probably already know that from this previous post. Part of staying alert is knowing what’s out there which requires searching and finding. If I find an article on Facebook that brings new information to light, I look for more information to enhance my understanding of the event and topic. You can then make an informed decision of how to react and deal with the information. For instance the decriminalizing of prostitution in New Zealand. I discovered this law only a few weeks ago through further research instigated from an article I read of a beautiful young girl’s tragic death.
5. Share your concerns: Share your concerns and ideas with family and friends about public issues that pose potential threat. They can help enlighten your mind and give more perspective. Your family and friends may not even be aware the issue exists. Use that opportunity to inform and educate them. Look at that, you’re already influencing the world by telling your family and close peers.
6. Appropriately use social media: I appreciate social media. It has become a powerful tool that can rapidly spread messages, images, links etc to places we’ve never been before. It gives us the chance to connect with other people and share more freely. Use your social media presence to give other people the chance to be notified of events and changes that may occur. People can’t make decisions if they’re are oblivious to what’s happening. Give another mom the opportunity to support a good cause and cast her vote by sharing a simple message or post. Be careful not to deliver the information in a rant or vent due to emotions.
7. Donate: Find an organization you can connect with, one that speaks to your heart and make a weekly or monthly donation.
It has become a part of my motherly duties to influence the world, even if it is through the smallest ways. Be a good influence. BE A PARTICIPANT.
Are you motivated to insert your voice and influence? How do you intend to do this? I would love to hear about it 🙂 Please share your thoughts in the comment box below. 🙂