Homemade deodorant is probably one of the best things I’ve come across. It is refreshing and according to my husband, “it completes our household”. Sheesh, I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to blog about it either. Too many times I get caught in the hype of products that look incredibly perfect BUT shockingly toxic. We can’t help it though, right? sometimes it’s just more convenient to buy pretty toxic products because we save time and energy. Yes, that’s half true. We save short-term time and short-term energy but not long-term time and long-term energy.
What do you mean? I’ll tell you later in this post.
So, I started looking for a more natural deodorant for three reasons:
- Most commercialized deodorants are like a time bomb for the body packed into a pretty little package.
- I was sick and tired of constantly changing and rotating my deodorants; why? my body would become accustomed to the deodorant and the “not so nice” odor would again assume control.
- Lastly, I wanted to save money.
At first I wasn’t too keen on making my own deodorant because it sounded like a lot of work. I thought I would have to go on an exhausting hunt for the ingredients. I didn’t even have a science lab to make them! Most of the ingredients listed on the deodorants I bought from the store seemed like jumbled letters and non-existent words (should we be worried? YES!). Most deodorants contain toxic chemicals such as aluminium, propylene glycol, Triclosan, parabens and triethanolamine. They can cause cancer, liver failure, disrupt thyroids and more. More? Yes, there is more! (Go here) These are the long-term side effects of using most store bought deodorants. Time and energy can be short-lived due to illnesses caused from using it.
So, how the heck was I going to make my own?
Well, to my amazement (be ready to be amazed as well)… all the ingredients I needed was in my pantry. I couldn’t believe it. There was no need for gloves, safety glasses or a white coat, but a mommy apron, fork and a spoon. I felt a new level of confidence because not only was the recipe easy and accessible, I knew exactly what was going on my body. FYI I became best friends with coconut oil after trying this recipe. How are you feeling now about making your own homemade deodorant? Amazing, Right?!
Since discovering the possibility of making homemade deodorant, it’s been nothing but sufficient freshness and more money in my pocket. My husband loves getting all sweaty and smelly outside in his garden and so it’s worked pretty good on him. I mean it does the same job as any other deodorant we’ve used only a lot safer. Anyway, enough bragging, lets get into this awesome homemade deodorant!
Homemade deodorant ingredient:
- 3 T of coconut oil
- 2 T of baking soda
- 2 T of arrow root powder or cornstarch
- Essential oils (optional)
- Mix the coconut oil, baking soda and arrow root or cornstarch in a bowl. Use a fork to combine the ingredients and mix it well.
- Add essential oils of your choice. Remember, this is optional. I prefer lavender or melaleuca. Only a few drops will do.
- Put the mixture into a glass jar or recycled deodorant bottle. Store it in a cool place if you don’t want it to melt. I don’t mind it melting because I like to put mine into a roll on bottle.
- If you’re using a container (most moms prefer the container), Lightly scoop a bit of the mixture with two fingertips and rub it on your armpit or just roll it on.
The mixture will fill a 50 ml bottle as shown above on the picture. I used a Nivea deodorant bottle (Thanks Nivea!) which I “borrowed” from my sister’s house. I pulled the bottle apart washed it with hot water and filled it with my homemade deodorant. If the coconut oil dries up, chuck the bottle into a half a cup of hot water and let the coconut oil melt.
If you start to get a burning feeling from using the deodorant then you may need to cut down the baking soda and add less.
Voila! homemade deodorant straight from your pantry!
If you have any other alternatives or addition to the homemade deodorant, I’d love to hear about it 🙂